C-SNIP offers tips to ensure holiday safety for pets

209
Photo by Ehren Wynder

A Kentwood-based nonprofit pet clinic is providing pet owners tips to ensure everyone enjoys the holidays.

C-SNIP provided a list of items for pet parents to keep an eye on to ensure their pet stays happy and healthy, ranging from keeping pets’ eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible during festivities, to keeping pets away from unhealthy treats and toxic plants.

Suggestions include:

  • Secure the Christmas tree so it doesn’t fall over and potentially cause injury to pets. Tree water also might contain fertilizers that can cause an upset stomach, and when stagnant, becomes a breeding area for bacteria.
  • Keep pets away from mistletoe, holly and lilies. When pets ingest these plants, they can experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cardiovascular problems and kidney failure. C-SNIP suggests the use of artificial plants made from silk or plastic for a pet-safe flower arrangement.
  • Do not leave pets unattended in rooms with burning candles to avoid an accidental swipe of a tail or paw. Extinguish flames before leaving the room or use flameless candles to set the same atmosphere without risk.
  • Though kittens may love playing with tinsel, if they swallow it, it may lead to a digestive tract obstruction, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.
  • Avoid feeding your pet chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol, no matter how much they beg. Keep pets away from unattended plates of food and ensure garbage can lids are secure.
  • Do not give pets leftovers, including fatty and spicy foods or bones.

More pet safety tips are available at csnip.org.

Facebook Comments