From the Grand Rapids Magazine December 2018 issue. Subscribe here.
With cold weather upon us, there’s no better time to enjoy a steaming hot cup of tea to warm the soul. Whether you’re looking for a place to sit down and relax or just need to restock your tea collection, there are plenty of tea specialists to visit around Grand Rapids.
- Global Infusion has been a staple in the East Hills neighborhood since 2004, serving its famous chai and offering a large selection of organic loose-leaf tea, coffee and spices for purchase. Grab a cup of tea and browse the fair-trade gifts, clothing and home goods from around the world. 143 Diamond Ave. SE.
- For over 10 years, The Sparrows Coffee & Tea & Newsstand has been a go-to for the warm atmosphere, the great beverages and treats, and the large selection of periodicals for purchase. Sparrows has a variety of loose-leaf tea to choose from, and the shop’s Dirty Harry (Earl Grey tea and honey latte) and Chai Masala are a fan favorite. 1035 Wealthy St. SE.
- Spice & Tea Merchants, located in the Downtown Market, not only sells numerous loose-leaf teas, infusers and teapots but also an assortment of herbs and spices for cooking. 435 Ionia Ave. SW.
- In addition to offering delicious treats, teas and coffees, Le Bon Macaron also hosts Afternoon Tea. With a reservation, you can indulge in a mix of sweet treats accompanied by a hot pot of tea. 951 Cherry St. SE.
- The Bitter End Coffeehouse, located on the West Side, has a large menu, including a variety of loose-leaf teas, delicious homemade chai and bubble tea, as well as coffee and snacks. 752 W. Fulton St.
*Photo by Michael Buck