The Grand Rapids Mayor’s Youth Council partnered with the Grand Rapids Public Library (GRPL) to collect new coats to help young adults in underserved communities stay warm.
The council of high school students, managed by Our Community’s Children (OCC), is seeking donations of new coats, hats and gloves to be dropped off at any eight designated GRPL drop-off locations through Friday, March 4.
Donations will be delivered to the Hispanic Center of Western Michigan, AYA Youth Collective, Grandville Arts & Humanities and Baxter Community Center.
All eligible items must be new, and the group is looking for coats in youth sizes 14, 16, S, M, L, XL and 2XL.
Library drop-off locations include:
- Main Library, 111 Library St. NE
- Madison Square Branch, 1201 Madison Ave. SE
- Ottawa Hills Branch, 1150 Giddings Ave. SE
- Seymour Branch, 2350 Eastern Ave. SE
- Van Belkum Branch, 1563 Plainfield Ave. NE
- West Leonard Branch, 1017 Leonard St. NW
- West Side Branch, 713 Bridge St. NW
- Yankee Clipper Branch, 2025 Leonard St. NE
“Every young person deserves to have a warm coat, period,” said Shannon Harris, executive director, OCC. “We especially want to reach teens and young adults who are unhoused and/or experiencing poverty, and I’m thrilled to see teens helping each other to ensure basic needs are being met.”
OCC is a public/private partnership between the city of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Public Schools and other local organizations.
More information is here.