The Grand Rapids Public Library will celebrate both its 150th anniversary and National Library Card Sign Up month by signing up 1,500 new cardholders in September.
“A library card is the most useful card in your wallet,” remarked Meghan Pitsch, patron experience manager. “You can get a library card in less than five minutes and use it for a lifetime.”
In addition to signing up new cardholders, the library will issue limited-edition 150th anniversary library cards. New cardholders will receive a sign-up gift and be entered in to win a 150 GRPL gift bag. Current library cardholders also can enter to win a 150 gift bag when visiting the library or through social media.
“I can’t imagine a better way to celebrate 150 years of serving the community than to welcome more people to the library and connect them to all of the incredible resources, services, and programs we offer,” Pitsch said. “GRPL continually adapts to meet the needs of Grand Rapids and the benefits of having a GRPL card keep growing. Celebrate with us, and get your card today.”
A GRPL library card can be used to:
- Borrow books, music, audiobooks, mobile hotspots and movies.
- Stream TV shows, movies, music and audiobooks.
- Research your family history
- Learn a new language
- Prep for standardized tests
- Check out passes to area museums, zoos, botanical gardens and music, theatre and dance performances
- Ride for free to the library on The Rapid
- Print, fax, scan or copy up to 50 pages a week for free
- Use public computer and 24/7 Wi-Fi
For more information on the library card, visit grpl.org or call 616-988-5400.