A popular annual day of fiery flavors will return to the Grand Rapids Downtown Market this Saturday.
The Downtown Market, at 435 Ionia Ave. SW, is running a promotional event called “Spicy Saturday” that will let customers escape the cold and try hot and sizzling items from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 22, throughout the market hall.
“This is a fan-favorite promotion, and one that merchants enjoy, since they can show off some super spicy foods and unique flavor combinations,” said Molly Connolly, marketing manager at the Downtown Market. “This year, we’re seeing them really bring their A-game with the spice, so be prepared for some hot options. It’s also a great excuse to get out of the house and a fun way to warm up during a chilly January weekend.”
On-site dining options include indoor seating in the second-floor atrium and 10 outdoor huts available on a first-come, first-served basis. The huts all are heated and sanitized between each use.
More information on the event is online.
- The Melt (Your Face) Down: Spicy Calabrian chili salami and spicy jalapeño tomato jam added to Aperitivo’s classic meltdown grilled cheese sandwich (Aperitivo)
- Always Sunny Smoothie: Mango guava smoothie cranked up a notch with chile de árbol (optional) (Alt City Beverage Co.)
- Spiced Pomegranate Daiquiri: Made with Ritual Zero Proof rum, a daiquiri with a spicy kick (Alt City Beverage Co.)
- Gingersnap Cookie Latte: Housemade ginger syrup with espresso and customer’s choice of dairy or nondairy milk (Alt City Beverage Co.)
- Savory Nut Seasoning: Warming spices with a hint of chili pepper (Spice Merchants)
- Spicy Soda and Mixers: Spicy ginger beer, red hot soda, hot bloody mary mix and more (High Tide Soda)
- Lava Sushi Combo: Shrimp, cucumber and lettuce in a roll topped with crab salad, tempura flakes and masago, served with spicy mayo (Sushi Market)
- Firecracker Shrimp: Spicy Thai shrimp fried in crispy shells, served with plum sauce (Rák Thai)
- Hot Chicken Sandwich: Crispy breaded chicken, hot dipped and dusted with spices, served with hot mayo, pickles, tomatoes and slaw (Juju Bird)
- Jalapeno Cheddar Bread: Fire-roasted jalapeños and white cheddar baked into sourdough levain (Field & Fire)
- Spicy Croissant: A classic, buttery croissant with a spicy twist (Field & Fire)
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche: Quiche made with jalapeño, bacon and cheese — a creative take on a jalapeno popper (Gaby’s Gourmandise)
- Bloody Mary Shrimp Crostini (starting at noon): Smoked shrimp, spicy housemade bloody mary sauce, homemade dill pickles and pickled red onions served on toast (Slows Bar-BQ)
- Jalapeño White Cheddar Popcorn: Sharp white cheddar popcorn mixed with jalapeño seasoning to give it some heat (Dorothy and Tony’s Gourmet Popcorn)
- Hot Korean Skate Wing Sandwich (starting at noon): Fresh skate wing, spicy gochujang BBQ sauce and jalapeño slaw, served with lemon habanero aioli (Fish Lads)
- Jalapeño Crunch Burger (starting at noon): House grind, habanero aioli, house spiced pickles, shredded lettuce, with deep fried jalapeño bottle caps (Carvers)
- Spicy Salmon Bowl (starting at noon): Fresh salmon from Fish Lads, classic sauce, creamy avocado and chili mayo, habanero, cucumber, avocado and wasabi tobiko (Pinktail Poke)
- Hot Spice Blends: Four special-edition dipping oil spice blends: Nashville hot chicken, orange habanero, big easy garlic Cajun and beer can chicken hot ’n’ spicy (Old World Olive Co.)
- Mexican Chili Chocolate Milkshake: A chocolate milkshake with chili and cinnamon (Love’s Ice Cream & Chocolate)
- 70% Dark Chili and Spice Bar: Dark chocolate with five different types of chilis paired with cassia cinnamon (Love’s Ice Cream & Chocolate)